1. Hello Émilie! Before we start, can you introduce yourself to those who don’t know you yet?
Hello, my name is Émilie, I'm 30, and I live in Paris. I am an illustrator. I draw watercolors and porcelains that I decorate by hand.
2. How long have you been drawing and when did you decide to start your own brand?
I’ve been doing watercolors since I was a little girl. I remember having always drawn and loved it. I was a creative girl, I made my toys myself! I launched my brand after an experience as a leather goods designer that helped me realize that to grow as an adult, I had to dedicate my imagination to my world.
3. Many of your watercolors show wild animals, could you tell us where this inspiration comes from?
During my childhood, I followed my father, a wildlife photographer, in Africa for many safaris. These trips represented an incredible source of inspiration. My watercolors are a reflection of these joyful and colorful memories of nature and wildlife.
4. You also offer porcelains, and more recently, some stationery, what are your plans for the future?
I paint porcelains by hand and have others reproduced in a workshop based in Limoges. I like the old-fashioned spirit of porcelain. A diary and a coloring book fully illustrated by me also just went out, published in the Marabout Hachette creative editions. Other than that, I have two new collaborations with clothing brands that just came out: one with Rodier and the other with Septem. I have many other great things in the works.
5. What are your work rituals, and what does a typical day look like for you?
A typical day, for me, starts with a coffee with oat milk while reading my emails. Then I start working. I’m lucky that "working" for me, at least half of the time, means "drawing". I spend the day in my pajamas at home painting. I usually take a break during lunchtime to go to the gym. I need to be physically active because when you don’t hear the sound of your own voice or don’t see a living soul for too long you can become a little crazy.
6. Let’s go back to the jewels, shall we? I see that you wear a lot of jewels. What is your relationship with them? Do you wear the same ones every day?
I love jewelry. I like to buy jewels, a lot of jewels. I wear a lot that I stole from my poor mom and she might never see them again! There are tiny jewels that I never remove, even to sleep. And I wear bold jewels in the evening when I dress up to go out.
7. At White Bird, which of our designers do you particularly like?
I love Loquet London. I bought one for myself last year and chose all the little charms with it. I like the concept of personalizing what you put inside, like a treasure. Having a lot of piercings myself, I also love Maria Tash. I'm a fan of her creations. I also like Dorette’s jewelry, my boyfriend gave me a very nice ring for my 30th birthday.
8. You recently moved to the 1st arrondissement. Do you already have good spots in your neighborhood to share with us?
I love going for lunch at the trattoria "Enza & Famiglia" rue Saint Honoré. It is a small and cozy place. Pasta is delicious, and I love pasta. There is also a very simple pizzeria "La Tavola Calda", near my house and they make incredible pizzas. Now you know - even if it’s not the healthiest, I am an Italian cooking lover! I also like to hunt books at a bookseller in Quai de la Mégisserie and cross the Seine to buy plants on the Ile de la Cité.